Exploring the Past to Envisage the Future
Foundation Arte ’99 Pa libertat is presenting a new art event in the series to commemorate 150 years of abolition of slavery. The exhibition Exploring the Past to Envisage the Future is curated by Curaçao art historian Jennifer Smit.
Mrs. Lusette Verboom-Fairbairn, chairman of Foundation Arte ’99 and Jennifer Smit opened the exhibition on February 14, 2014.
Exploring the Past to Commemorate the Future is inspired by the collection of NAAM, our institute for National Archaeological and Anthropological Memory Management. Participating artists are: Ailsa Anastatia, Herman van Bergen, Avantia Damberg, Yubi Kirindongo, Omar Kuwas, Tirzo Martha, Tony Monsanto, Philip Rademaker, Felix de Rooy and Ivanah Suares.
The Foundation Fundashon Arte ’99. Pa libertat organizes art events in 2013 and 2014 to commemorate in Curaçao, the 150th anniversary of the abolition of slavery in the Dutch Kingdom.
Photographs below, by René Bergsma, give an impression of the opening ceremony for this exhibition.
The exhibition remains till May 18, 2014.
Museo di Kòrsou (The Curaçao Museum)
Van Leeuwenhoekstraat z/n
Opening hours: Tuesday to Saturday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
See also previous commemorative events:
- Arte pa Libertat den Pietermaai, organized by NAAM (2013).
- Faces of Curaçao by Faranú and Mike Redman, in Landhuis Bloemhof (2013).
- Exhibition to celebrate the abolition of Slavery by Annemieke Dicke, Didi Dometilie and Karin van Batenburg in the Curaçao Maritime Museum (2013).
- Libertat, group exhibition in the art gallery of Kas di Kultura (2013).
- Milk Drops, art project by Nelson González in Landhuis Bloemhof (2013).